Old Days Adventure

You will never believe what we did today!!!!!  It was quite the adventure, that is for sure.  Grandma, Grandpa, and Great-grandma Pogue all came down for the weekend.  Mom and I did our usual trips to town to get some shopping time in.  When we left today, Grandpa said “I can watch the boys.”  O.k.  Sounds great, they will like that better than girly shopping time.  So off we went.  (No this was NOT the wild adventure.)  You would never guess what we saw when we pulled back in the driveway a couple of hours later!!!!! 

Way back in the trees we saw the crew.  We had to chuckle a great deal and say “Oh wow!”  Wanna see?

IMG_0158

Everyone was back in the trees.  They had Great-grandma back there too!  83 years old and traipsing around our six acres.  Or at least being chauffeured around the property.  Ross had the tractor out today to get some mowing done after he and dad cleaned up some limbs that were still down from the ice storm last winter.  That led to taking they boys for rides up and down the driveway.  His brain is always spinning…  Full of ideas of all kinds…  Great-grandma always talks about how she would love to go walk back there to see those trees, but she is not able to do that.  So in the past he has taken her in our little S-10.  Today he saw the neighbor’s wagon and thought to do this.  It made her day!!!!!!  

IMG_0150The old days adventure comes from the fact that there were 4 generations being pulled in an old wooden wagon by an antique tractor.  How did they get Great-grandma in?  Hmm… Not really sure.  Haven’t asked at this point.  ;)  All we know is that she was loving the ride.  I saw her grinning from ear to ear. 

 

IMG_0156At this point I think I told her she was going to be famous.  “What???” she asked.  “I am putting this on the blog,” I replied.  =)

The boys were all having a great time too.  Riley and Braden love to do stuff like this.  They are always up for an adventure. 

 

IMG_0163But we are not done yet!  There is more.  For anyone who has not been to our place, The Trees is a 3 acre area at the back of our property.  You have to go through an old pasture, past the old barn and barn lot, and into the little “woods.”  Those of you who know my mom, also know that she is not all that keen to experience too much nature up too close and personal.  She has come a long way over the years, but still prefers the civilized mowed yard space over more wild spaces.  Yes, we even got my mom in the wagon to take a lap around the tree trails.  And, of course TanMan has to get in on the action.  I snapped a couple pictures and climbed up in the back of the wagon.  Off we went through the tall, green pines.

Uh, Oh!!!!!!  We are experiencing a little setback.  We had to stop in the very back corner.  As far away from the barn or house as you can get, we stopped.  The tractor stopped, as in quit going.  Putt, Putt, Putt, sputter, sputter, nothing!  “OOPS!!!” says our driver.  “I’ll be right back.  I know what that means.”  And he walks off.  As he passed me I heard some muttering and mumbling.  Something about “this always happens way back here as far from the barn as I can be.”  Hmmm…  Experience.  IMG_0174Everyone sits in the wagon patiently waiting for his return.  Great-grandma is laughing.  Braden could take no more.  We lost him many yards back.  Poor tuckered guy.  Riley is just patiently waiting.  He has seen this before.  Even happened to him on his little 4-wheeler.  TanMan is just loving being with everyone and taking a ride, even if the wagon is not moving now.  Check out that wild hair!  Remember, the wagon is not moving right now!

IMG_0177 Ross returns…  Gas can in hand!  It is full.  Now our minor malfunction will be fixed and we will be ready to roll again.  Look at that grin.  He takes these times in stride.  IMG_0179He told me this evening this must have happened a half dozen times before.  You would think he would learn his lesson.  =)  He did check the fuel level before he fired up the old Case again.  Everyone was perched in the wagon patiently waiting.  Not like anyone was in any hurry to walk all the way back to the house.

IMG_0189We did make it back after the refueling stop.  On the way back, we had rearranged seating a little.  Great-grandma told me, “This has been so much fun!  But I don’t know how I am going to get down from here.”  I just replied, “The reverse of how you got in.  You climb down.”  Now mind you, I still didn’t know how they got her in.  Just so you know, we documented the dismount from the wagon.  Truck ramps cannot only be used to load and unload ATV’s, they can be a ramp for 80+ year old adventurous ladies to climb in old wagons.  Great-grandma was not harmed in the making of this adventure.  She came out in one piece.  I imagine she might talk about her adventure for a day or two.  We all had a good time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

your mother will never never listen to you againnnnnn. she told you NOT to put her on here
your days are numbered i will get even

Anonymous said...

what a fun weekend nothing like doing something new and off the wall.




dad

Bev said...

Thanks for the heads up! Now I know not to call your grandma until I have an hour or two to listen to her adventure tales. And I don't even have to talk to her to know that you all made her day, week, month, year.....

Such great photos of your kids, your hub, your folks, and your grandma. Your mom must have been anticipating some paparazzi action...wearing her shades and all!

Next time hand Ross your camera for some of those four generation shots...or did you only post the ones of your mom and not yourself??

Our Backyard and Beyond said...

Well... I don't think there were any pictures with me in them. Mom handed me the camera and told me to get some pics, so I did. Maybe next time the tables will turn. =)

Mom-The story would not have been complete without the pics of you too. Needed those for the wagon of patiently waiting folks during the stall at the back of the trees. =)

The KS Aunt said...

Great pictures and what fun! Wish I could have joined in. I'm sitting at my desk at work and I started laughing out loud when I saw Tanner's hair standing up while the wagon was stopped. That is hilarious! I'm still chuckling over that. so funny :-)